The beginnings with a world’s best-seller
1954 - 1974
The company was established on April 8, 1954 by Antonio Brandestini and opened its first office in Zurich, Switzerland. The company name Proceq is taken from a combination of the words “processes” and “equipment” which is reflected in the quality of its instruments. Mr. Brandestini also brought significant contributions from his co-partner BBR Network, which was founded by himself, Max Birkenmaier and Mirko Robin Ros in 1944. Today, the BBR Network is recognized as the leading group of specialized engineering contractors in the field of post-tensioning, stay cables and related construction engineering.
The first innovation was the pioneering concrete test hammer which was developed in collaboration with the Civil Engineer and bridge builder Ernst O. Schmidt. The results provided by this instrument proved reliable, leading Mr. Schmidt to patent the rebound measuring process and search for a trustworthy partner who could support him in the serial production and sales process for his new invention. He found this partner in Antonio Brandestini. Proceq worked on the instrument until it became an off-the-shelf commercial product, and thus, the "Original Schmidt" was born. Shortly thereafter, the Original Schmidt - also called the “Swiss Hammer” - became a global sales hit.
In this period, Proceq expanded its operations by opening a branch office in Lausanne in the French part of Switzerland. Since then, Proceq has extended its activities throughout the world, with sales forces and partners in Europe, Asia and North America. In 1970, the number of Proceq employees exceeded 50 for the first time.
Proceq continued to invent new products, for example the blockbuster Profometer which was launched in 1973. This sophisticated instrument set the de facto industry standard for the non-destructive location of rebar, the measurement of concrete cover and rebar diameter.